I didn't sleep much that night. It wasn't the face that I'd broken the law that really bothered me. That I could live with. It was the fact that I'd disappointed my dad. I'd let him down. I'd failed him. He'd given me the responsibility, trust, and freedom-and I'd blown it.
I got how to smell like God, by: Steven James, from Sunday School a few years back. I didn't finish it during the summer, so I picked it up today and read it. I picked I Own The Future to read.
Why did Jesus have to come to earth, anyway? Why did he have to die? And what difference does his life way back then make to my life?
(My own story, relating to the story in the book.)
When I was in 5th grade, I had the world in my hands.
It was my very own Nokia cell phone. I thought to myself, This is my passport to freedom. This is my ticket to new adventures. I own the future! I can call anyone I want, anywhere I want!
I started calling friends, family, anyone I could. I would spend hours on the phone! Then the phone bill came in through the mail. I had the cell phone taken away from me. I didn't understand the real rules of a cell phone. My dad gave me the responsibility to use it wisely. How wisely did I use it. The bill was more than I could have paid at that time. I told him I would pay it off.
He just shrugged it off, and he paid it for me. I finally got my own cell phone freshman year. It was so cool. I also knew the rules of a cell phone, and the responsiblitly of having one. The minutes are limited, but I have unlimited night and weekend minutes.
"But when the right time came, God sent his Son, born of a woman, subject to the law. God sent him to buy freedom for us who were slaves to the law, so that he could adopt us as his very own children." (Galatians 4:4-5)
He paided our debt in full!
"He was handed over to die because of our sins, and he was raised from the dead to make us right with God." (Romans 4:25)
Jesus lived a perfect life in my place, he suffered and died in my place, and he came back from the dead to guarantee that all of God's promises have come true.
Heaven is a gift indeed!
"And if they are saved by God's kindness, then it is not by their good works. For in that case, God's wonderful kindness would not be what it really is-free and undeserved" (Romans 11:6).
When it comes to Heaven, God picks up the bill. All of it. It's not like he payss for the meal and we cover the tip. It's a gift, free and clean and all the way. God says, "Heaven is on me." That's what grace is all about.
We have nothing to offer him in return except an attitude of gratitude and a life of service-learning to smell like him.
"He whas removed our rebellious acts as far away from us as the east is from the west. The Lord is like a father to his children, tender and compassionate to those who fear him" (Psalm 103:12-13).
One passport to freedom. One ticket to adventure. So that you, and I could truly and completely own the future.
Thank you, Lord!
Thursday, March 09, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment